We have the infrastructure and tools to comply with the demanding requirements of aerospace and defence companies in terms of security clearance, capacity, software capability and quality management systems.
Analysis of advanced materials is a significant area of our work. We have undertaken assessment of integrity and failure mechanisms, including cracking and delamination of reinforced composite materials for both interior and exterior applications. Aircraft cabin analysis has involved static and dynamic loading, considering how forces are transferred to the airframe.
ANSYS software and training has been supplied to the industry for structural, fluid, FSI, MEMs, combustion and thermal management applications, in addition to geometry modelling and topology optimisation capabilities.
Process modelling of manufacturing processes can be a key enabler for developing strong yet light high integrity components involving advanced materials. Working long term with OEMs and their supply chains, advanced metal forming and heat treatment simulation has been undertaken to ensure thermo-mechanical processing cycles are optimised for a wide range of parts, from turbine blades and deep drawn panels to fasteners and ballistics. Many of our clients use DEFORM themselves for internal product and tooling development, including inertia welding and micro-structural modelling of superalloys and titaniums.
Exterior and interior fluid flows have been simulated using ANSYS FLUENT & CFX, considering acoustic issues.
Our 1D thermo-fluid code, Flownex, with a comprehensive library of fluid properties and thermal, fluid, heat transfer, control and electric circuit components and networks, is well suited to the simulation, design and optimisation of aerospace systems including combustion and turbine secondary flow modelling.
Many military related projects have been undertaken for the MOD and subcontractors, conforming to the necessary security and confidentiality requirements for this type of work. This has included a long term relationship with Williams Fairey – a world leader in tactical military bridging – including consulting secondments and training.
As reliability is paramount, our asset performance management software and services assist maintenance schedules to be compliant to MSG-3 processes. We are familiar with ATA iSpec 2200 and provide consulting and mentoring to guide engineers how to implement MSG-3 logic and generate complete maintenance programme report documentation.
Design for reliability and reliability growth objectives throughout the product lifecycle are also supported. GAP analysis, FMECA and quantitative part stress analysis to specifications such as MIL-HDBK-217F have been undertaken, together with fault tree analysis for system reliability and safety assessment. Safety work has also included environmental effects and hazard analysis to maintenance personal. Recent project examples include:
- Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) analysis, including FMECA & standards based prediction, for Airbus maintenance panel
- Safety Systems Analysis (SSA), including Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Dormant Failure Analysis, for aircraft control system
- RAMS and standards based prediction using MIL-HDBK-217F for satellite components
- Design for reliability activities for military runway landing light application.
The ReliaSoft reliability platform is used extensively by both ourselves and our aerospace & defence clients in preference to traditional spreadsheet and other disparate, less efficient and error-prone tools. Globally, Reliasoft is used by Aerospace OEMs, including Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems, Boeing, GE Aircraft Engines and Honeywell, together with their supply chains to:
- Quickly discover design and process flaws before release to manufacturing while evaluating and improving design margins to reduce development time and cost
- Accurately estimate system availabilities and maintenance schedules from field and test data to reduce field failures and system downtimes
- Forecast the system and component failures and returns to reduce costs through better warranty modeling and spare part inventory management
- Use a FRACAS system to capture field data, assist with problem resolution and drive improvements in future designs.
We have supplied software, training and consulting services to over 100 Aerospace & Defence OEMs, suppliers and government & research organisations, including: