We have supplied Ansys integrated solutions and consulting services to government funded organisations, SMEs and start-ups researching innovative technologies for generating and converting renewable energy, including dynamic analysis of supporting structures and test equipment.
To support our Ansys Fluid Dynamics capabilities, we have experience in turbomachinery, micro-climate and wind energy system design, including:
- 1D design of centrifugal compressor and radial turbine stages
- 3D aerodynamic / mechanical optimisation and development of component design codes
- Terrain assessment for wind turbines
- Investigation of vertical axis (VAWT ) and horizontal axis (HAWT) wind turbine performance under varying wind conditions and blade designs, including turbulence intensities and aero-acoustic effects
- Fluid-structure (FSI) interaction analysis for blade to undertake fatigue calculations
Our 1D thermal-fluid capabilities enable us t0 assist the design, operation and optimisation of systems and subsystems, accounting for large fluid ranges including homogeneous two-phase, slurries, gasses, liquids, non-condensable mixtures and gas mixtures. Applications include wind power, concentrated solar power (CSP), biomass gasification and geothermal power.
Large energy generation structures, such as wind turbines, require extensive foundation development, sometimes offshore. Clients use PLAXIS geotechnical FEA software to help with the design and validation of piling and slab foundations including the assessment of dynamic loads and ground movement .
The informed use of reliability statistical methods and software helps drive business decisions, maintenance planning and the understanding of availability, system up time, system downtime and MTBF. We have provided ReliaSoft reliability tools and training, including accelerated testing, to renewable energy engineers to help managing the risk of component and system failure and develop well-structured maintenance strategies. One recent consulting project involved life data analysis of wind turbine air flow sensors.
Our Safety & Reliability team also has experience in Hazard Analysis and SIL assessment & verification that can support the safe operation of large scale infrastructure, from wind test facilities to biomass plants.