Fluid Mechanics Principles
- 8th June 2021 - 10th June 2021
9:30 am - 11:30 am
- 7th September 2021 - 9th September 2021
9:30 am - 11:30 am
- 7th December 2021 - 9th December 2021
Fluid flow is everywhere in engineering and often counter-intuitive. Calculating basic quantities such as pressure, flow rate, lift, drag, cooling rate and fluid forces on structures is an essential part of effective product design and process optimisation.
The availability and ease of use of CFD software enables design engineers to undertake flow calculations that were previously reserved for specialists. However, to ensure accurate and meaningful results, a good awareness of the basic concepts of fluid mechanics and their practical application is essential.
Unfortunately, fluid mechanics is often regarded as difficult and confusing – typically due to the range of complicated equations encountered in undergraduate courses. Furthermore, even experienced engineers who have had formal education in the subject may have not applied these concepts for a while.
This concise course has been specifically developed to overcome such challenges, providing a fundamental background to design engineers new to fluid mechanics and refreshing those who have not recently undertaken fluid calculations.
Who Should Attend?
- Design engineers new to or re-visiting fluid flow
- Engineers intending to start running CFD simulations
- Managers required to review or sign-off CFD reports
Online: Split into 3 sessions at 2 hours each (Generally over 3 consecutive days at 9:30am – 11:30am). This can be adjusted, complete the form opposite for further information.
Classroom: One – day course commences at 9:00am and finishes at approximately 5:00pm.
Please complete the form opposite or contact us for online training prices, including discounts for multiple delegates and courses.
Registration / Further Information
- Complete the form opposite
- Call us on +44 (0) 161 474 6886
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We can also run this course on a date of your choosing or as a bespoke course. Please indicate on the form opposite if you are interested in this option.
Discounts are available for multiple purchases per company.
Venue: Online using GoToTraining
Wilde Analysis uses GoToTraining for online events. You can easily attend a session from anywhere, anytime using a compatible computer or mobile device. Join by downloading on Windows or Mac To get the most out of GoToTraining, you can download and install the full-featured desktop software on your Windows and Mac computer. Learn more.
- Practical applications of fluid mechanics – what it’s typically used for
- Fluid properties – definition, meaning and units
- Classes of fluid flow – internal, external, free surface, cavitating, compressible
- Basic equations – focus on what they mean and simple useable forms
- Basic equations – examples of their use
- Laminar and turbulent flow – physical meaning and effects of turbulence; Reynolds number
- Behaviour at “walls” – boundary layer, separation, drag
- Energy losses – origin, magnitude, practical implications
- Dimensional analysis – main dimensionless groups and practical uses
- Loss coefficients and internal flow systems – data sources, practical uses, network analysis
- Convective Heat transfer – meaning and application of heat transfer coefficient, correlations for practical calculations [Optional depending on audience interest]
There will be worked examples and workshops to reinforce learning throughout the course.