Fluid Mechanics Principles
Whitworth House, 28 Charles Street
- 20th October 2020
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- 13th May 2020
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fluid flow is everywhere in engineering. Calculating basic quantities such as pressure, flow rate, lift, drag, cooling rate and fluid forces on structures is an essential part of effective product design and process optimisation.
The availability and ease of use of CFD software enables design engineers to undertake flow calculations that were previously reserved for specialists. However, to ensure accurate and meaningful results, a good awareness of the basic concepts of fluid mechanics and their practical application is essential.
Unfortunately, fluid mechanics is often regarded as difficult and confusing – typically due to the range of complicated equations encountered in undergraduate courses. Furthermore, even experienced engineers who have had formal education in the subject may have not applied these concepts for a while.
This concise 1 day course has been specifically developed to overcome such challenges, providing a fundamental background in fluid mechanics and refreshing those who have not recently undertaken fluid calculations.
The training sessions combine formal presentations with a number of practical worked examples and workshops to reinforce learning.
Who Should Attend?
Designers, engineers, researchers, students and managers new to or re-visiting fluid flow principles.
This course is suitable for anyone involved in fluid dynamics design calculations, using CFD software directly, involved in specifying CFD projects or reviewing, checking and interpreting results within CFD reports.
The course commences at 9:00am and finishes at approximately 5:00pm.
£395, including lunch and refreshments.
Delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
Registration / Further Information
Please contact us to discuss if this course is suitable for your requirements and to book your place(s). Simply:
- Complete the form opposite
- Call us on +44 (0) 161 474 6886
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We can also run this course at your offices as a company-dedicated training session on a date of your choosing. Please indicate when contacting us if you are interested in this option.
- Practical Applications of Fluid Mechanics
- Fluid properties – Definition, Meaning & Units
- Classes of Fluid Flow – Internal, External, Free Surface, Cavitating & Compressible
- What They Mean
- Simple Useable Forms
- Examples of Their Use
Types of Flow
- Laminar and Turbulent Flow
- Physical Meanings & Effects of Turbulence
- Reynolds Number
- Behaviour at “Walls”: Boundary Layer, Separation & Drag
- Energy Losses: Origin, Magnitude, Practical Implications
- Dimensional Analysis: Main Dimensionless Groups & Practical Uses
- Loss Coefficients and Internal Flow Systems: Data Sources, Practical Uses & Network Analysis
Convective Heat Transfer
[Optional depending on audience interest]
- Meaning & Application of Heat Transfer Coefficients
- Correlations for Practical Calculations
- Final Questions
- Further Learning